In the Travel Germany series, different places across Germany are featured in interviews with expats who relocated there. With their insider tips and suggestions about why they love their new home, you'll have plenty of ideas for when you visit Germany.
Of course, I had to take this opporunity to share my personal tips for my beloved new home of Freiburg!
Located in southwest Germany on the edge of the Black Forest, 30 minutes from the Alsace in France and from Switzerland, this corner of the world is full of culture, food, wine, and seemingly endless nature to enjoy.
Food and Drink
- visit the daily farmer's market, the Münstermarkt and eat a Lange Rote, the classic Freiburg sausage
- Kastanien Biergarten
- Feierling Biergarten & Restaurant
- Sichelschmiede Restaurant
- Fili Cafe
- Cafe Schmidt or Mohrentopf for Black Forest Cake and other sweets
- Jesuitenschloss for wine with a view
Museums and Sites
- hike to Schlossbergturm or take the Schlossbergbahn part of the way up
- the church in the center of Freiburg is the Münster
- visit the Uniseum, Augustiner Museum, Archaeological Museum, and Mundenhof Zoo
- hang out at Kanonenplatz and Augustinerplatz
The view from Saint Barbara makes the food taste even better.
- hike around Schauinsland after taking the gondola up
- hike to Saint Valentines for brunch or Saint Barbara for Black Forest Tapas
- Staufen for vineyards and castle ruins
- Schluchsee or Titisee for a lakeside stroll in the Black Forest
- hop over to the Alsace in France to see Colmar, Strasbourg, or Eguisheim, or wander the Wine Route or visit the castle Haut Koenigsbourg
- Keidelbad, Titisee, Bad Krozingen, or anywhere in the town Baden-Baden
Ravennaschlucht Christmas Market is dreamy!
- Zelt Musik Festival
- Freiburg Christmas Market or Ravennaschlucht Christmas Market
- Fasnet/Fastnacht/Karnival in Freiburg or in Elzach
- the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg University Library has unique architecture
- shop for books at Rombach or Jos Fritz
Listen to the episode for even more travel ideas.