In the Travel Germany series, different places across Germany are featured in interviews with expats who relocated there. With their insider tips and suggestions about why they love their new home, you'll have plenty of ideas for when you visit Germany.
Time to learn about the tiny town of Dessau, or technically speaking, Dessau-Roßlau, in eastern Germany.
Podcast guest Inna told us all about what she loves to do in and around her new home of Dessau. Inna is from the Ukraine and had been living in Italy when she got the chance to move to Dessau, Germany on a grant for Jewish immigrants from former Soviet countries.
Food and Drink
- Teehäuschen in Stadtpark
Museums and Sites
- Visit the Rathaus, or City Hall, where the bells play music from the local theater's repetoir
- Walk across the Tiergartenbrücke, or as the locals call it, the Egg Cutter Bridge
- Bauhaus Museum
- Visit the Jewish Community Center
- Take the historical train to the Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Plan a longer bike trip from Dresden to Dessau, a route that's friendly for beginners
- Dessau itself makes a great day trip from Berlin (90 minutes away) or Leipzig (60 minutes away)
- Leopoldfest in July
For all these tips and more, listen in to the epiode here.