Have you ever had the deep feeling and/or fear of being a fraud? I used to struggle with it sometimes, but since moving to Germany, imposter syndrome seems to be a part of my daily life. I feel it when speaking German. I feel it when buying groceries at the farmer's market. I feel it when in the workplace.
Melissa, aka Intentional Expat, lived in Spain and the Netherlands for a decade before moving back to her home state, Washington in the US. Melissa has a PhD in Clinical and Health Psychology, which she uses in her work as an expat life coach - making her the perfect guest for this topic. Melissa shares with us the 5 types of imposter syndrome, how to identify it in your life, and what to do to succeed in your expat life despite feeling this way.
We mentioned some resources in this episode, including:
- Melissa's website, intentionalexpat.com
- Melissa's appearance on Expat Hour
- Brene Brown online, her TED Talk, her Netflix special, or her podcasts
- The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women: Why Capable People Suffer from the Imposter Syndrome and How to Thrive in Spite of It by Valerie Young
- Learn about the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion
I don't love listening to my own voice, but I push through and relisten to this episode sometimes because it has just so much to teach me. You can listen to it here.